Thursday, April 30, 2009

Update on my Awesome Dad -

My awesome Dad is keeping his head held up high during all of his initial consultations with his cancer. Many of you have asked for updates so here is the most recent email I received from him this week. He has found out the cancer has spread to his bone marrow but its still so slow in growth that he is very optimistic!

"What I have is called Small B cell lymphocyte lymphomia/cronic lymphocyte leukemia. It is a non-aggressive cancer of a white blood cell called a lymphocyte. (There are five different white blood cells) It is a blood cancer but since it orginated in the lymphatic system, it is know as a lymphoma. It is fairly rare and ocurrs mostly in older men. It is malignant and spreading but is very slow and orderly. It is in most of my lymph nodes and my spleen and some in my bone marrow, called stage four, and have probably had it for several years. I am receiving a drug treatment called an immunoclonal drug, (Rituxin) which has been very successful in retarding and slowing the growth down. The treatment for this cancer is to slow it as much as possible and then moniter it, I will get blood work done every three months to keep track of it. It can become aggressive and that's what we hope to avoid. If it stays non-aggressive, then we do this drug treatment every two-three years, and stay as healthy as I can. The average life expentancy is 10 years, with known cases of people living 25 years. If I can stay healthy and keep this at bay, we fully expect to be able to live a fairly normal life.
In spite of all the uncertainty, we feel very fortunate. Most lymphomas are aggressive and very hard to treat. This type only occurs about 7% of the time and is the most managable. It is still cancer, but with prayers and a little luck, we have a very good prognosis."

I just need him to know that I am so proud of him! He is so full of faith and optimism and is a leader of strength in our family. My brothers and I adore him beyond words and know he can do this. Mom and Dad - we love you!!!!!!

No comments: