Sunday, October 18, 2009

Football madness...

Man, despite the "owies" we get, my boys still LOVE football. Dallin and Mikey talk about "plays" all day, they work out together, get ready for practice with excitement and come home sweaty and tired - still talking about it.

So far, with lots of prayers from me, our injuries are minor. I just read an article that persuades readers to feel this is just an awful sport for young kids - and I used to agree. But the comradery that has formed with their team, the acceptance they feel and the growth in their self esteem has really pushed me to now disagree. They love being apart of this band of brothers on the field and the loyalty that comes from working so hard together. I insist that Mike coaches so that they have an emotionally stable coach (some are crazy - I almost went off on a competators coach Saturday because he was so nasty, but decided I didn't need a fight in front of the kiddies...oohh, but he was a mean man).

We played against their biggest rival on Saturday (not the nasty coach though) - their own classmates who play on a different league. I wondered how they would feel about it and to my happiness they were so positive! They would say hi to each other before plays, then ram into each other has hard as they could, then help each other up. It was so awesome. It was the closest game EVER, but we ended up losing by one touchdown (14-20). I hoped they wouldn't be too bummed and as I went to congratulate them on a great game, all they could think of was running over to the other side to congratulate their buddies. THESE are the kind of boys I want - competative and hard working, but compassionate and good to other people. Ready to do what it takes to win, but not ready to give up friendships over it. The referee said our team has the best sportsmanship he had ever seen in a game. I think its the best compliment.



That day I couldn't have been prouder of them...


Mikey going for his second touchdown!




2 comments:

Amy D said...

You're raising some GREAT boys there! They're so lucky to have you!

Chelle said...

I'm a fan...as long as your boys are playing! Thanks for that fun boutique! It was fabulous. I love my apron!!!