Friday, September 14, 2012

Pinterest Recipes

I try to have a fun homemade treat for the boys ready and on the table after school as often as I can.  Thats the times I get them talking about their day and is one of my favorite moments.  Many days I am off at the school volunteering and not home, but Mike just had surgery and so I was home all day with him so Karly and I hung out in the kitchen!

I decided to start trying some of the Pinterest recipes that I have pinned - and both were so yummy!  First one was homemade peanut butter cups - filled with crunchy peanut butter and crushed graham crackers and rolled in chocolate.  You were supposed to top it with toffee but I was out so used sprinkles.  My boys loved them when they got home from school!
Secondly I tried a Pumpkin Coffee Cake that I found last week.  I had picked tons of pumpkins from our church garden and froze the insides for when I needed pumpkin (super easy - cut in half and save seeds for baking, then steam the halves turned over in 2 inches of water in the over for 40 minutes.  Cut out and puree - then freeze!),  This was my first bundt cake that has turned out and I was super excited!  Kids loved it too and I brought a slice to our construction worker friend up the road (who has to stand there for 8 hours a day holding the "SLOW" sign - and she is always so happy!) and she was delighted for an afternoon treat.

All in all I spent $0 on our afternoon snack and almost no preservatives.  YAHOO!

No comments: