Sunday, October 5, 2008

Good Ole Buddies-

This month for some reason was a time of getting together with LONG TIME buddies. I am talking about those friendships 10 years or longer. One of these friends "Jay", who is Mikes High School buddy from Montana, was over last Sunday and called these 'low maintenance' friendships. The kind that you don't have to apologize over and over again for not seeing each other and just pick up right where you left off. I really love these kind. I wish in a perfect world that I could see each and every one who has touched our lives on a constant basis, but that just isn't reality. Our time becomes so consumed in the 'here and now' that keeping in touch has to be periodically spaced. For this reason, it is so exciting once you do get to see each other again. Another one of these was my long time friend and first college roommate Corey. We met in 1995 and she was the first of my friends to meet Mike in college. Yes, she has watched it all from the beginning! We loved soccer then, now we both play on adult "mommy" leagues, and she has 3 boys just like me (still waiting for her princess) and we can't believe between the both of us there were 7 kidlets running around. If I am counting right, there are now 13 kids between all my roommates from freshman year at Ricks. Total between all my roommies from all 4 years of college, there should be at least 29 babies now. Amazing how time fly's. Another old buddy from my Ricks days, Camille, tracked me down recently after a separation of contact for almost 10 years. Can you imagine the joy I had in opening her email after years of trying to find her? Also, the gratefulness for a friend who spent time trying to find me as well was such a gift that day. Finally, after attending a late session in the Temple this week, I ran into another dear friend whom I had known at Ricks, Katy. We had sent each other Holiday cards for years, but the opportunity to see each other face to face hadn't come in a very long time. Together we were beyond delighted to catch up and renew a very old friendship. I left the Temple that night completely lifted from seeing this friend. So after all of this recap, what is my point with these ramblings? That connecting with old dear buddies can bring a happiness to your day that will lift you for many weeks to come. And not only are you blessed as you track down old friends and let them know of your gratitude for the 'good old days'- it lifts them as well and both of you are left an happier person.

3 comments:

jbwood12 said...

What a fun picture of you and Corey! I tried to find everyone the other day on facebook but didn't have any luck. You are the only one I have had contact with over the years. I always smile when you send e-mails and indeed it warms my heart also. Thanks for sending me the link to your blog so I can watch your cute family grow. If you have e-mails address for the others, will you pass them along?

Love ya,
JoAnn

Mugs said...

Oh COREY!!! She is just as beautiful as ever. Man, I had a crop of good lookin' roomates. This is such a sweet post, Kelly. I couldn't agree more. Each life that touches ours for good, right? I have a lot of love for you girls, and always will.

Julie Moore said...

You have always been that perfect friend for me Kel! We can just pick up where we left off and we'll always be the fun, spunky girls we were at BYU's University Villa! Oh the days! Hugs! Love you more than you know!