Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Our 1st Chess Tournament!




Something I really love about Mikey and Dallin is that they are into LOTS of hobbies - they can hang in sports, play piano, build anything you can think of with legos and so forth. This year they discovered something new that has really interested them - CHESS!

Our school has a chess club and they meet once a week at 7:45 am all year long and my boys love going! The funny thing is that there are 100 kids a week who show up! It amazed me that Chess is so popular right now (or maybe it always has been and I just haven't noticed?). After preparing all year they got to participate in their first Elementary State Chess Championship - 8 am to 4 pm! It lasted all day and Mike was such a trooper and spent the day with them there. It ended up being a pretty intense day (I didn't realize that some kids are EXTRA serious about chess) but they hung in there pretty well and our school took 15th out of 60 schools there (not that it matters, I would have been proud of them if they took last). They were so happy when they received two medals for the year. Dallin proudly wore his at school and cute Mikey decided they were best sent home with Dad (yah, he is growing up and the cool factor is starting to matter a little bit).

So proud of you cute boys...next to our wall of basketball, soccer & football trophies, now lies 4 awesome chess medals.

2 comments:

The HousewifeTravels said...

That's awesome. Good job boys. Chess is really big with our schools too. The girls are excited to learn more chess moves all the time.

Shalee said...

They are amazing! I used to "play" in elementary school, by "play" I mean I would make up all the rules. I won every single time:):)