Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sundays...





I used to LOVE Sundays - even in high school. It was my day to just have an excuse to relax and be peaceful. Then I had kids and I have always wondered what happened to my peaceful day. We have tried so many things to make it a good day for the whole family and different things work at different times in our lives. Backyard grass and PLANET EARTH are by far the best ones. As my kidlets get older and more used to the fact that Sunday will always be a different day in our house, they get better at keeping it a simple day.

This last week Mike had a meeting in the morning and then got called last minute to help the Young Men collect fast offerings, so I was left to fend for myself - no sweat right? Well, any Mommy who has had their hubby's is meetings on Sundays mornings knows what that's like. But I did my best to keep my cool and finally came to the realization that being on time was just not going to happen today, so why shout and stress out and STILL be late? So I finally felt a calmness that all would be well walking in late (the last time we did it happened to be the Sunday the Bishop got up to the pulpit and asked everyone to stop being late each week - nicely of course...but needless to say we were humbled and don't walk in late much any more...) today. I just got everyone ready as best I could and quietly got into the car, bummed that I missed the Sacrament, yet happy that I kept my cool. When we pulled up to Church there wasn't ONE spot left in the parking lot (never usually a problem) and we had to park on the street - now we were EXTRA EXTRA late. As we walked in I heard a baby blessing going on and I realized that all our buddy's with new babies were having their blessings done today - I hadn't missed the Sacrament after all!! I know it seems silly, but I was so excited, I just need that so much each week to get me by.

So once again I was taught that things always seems to work out as long as you are doing your best, and I keep getting small experiences like these to teach me this "tender mercies" lesson again and again...so thankful for Sundays.

2 comments:

Julie Moore said...

I loved this post. I totally relate - the whole walking in late while being encouraged to NOT be late has so happened to me too! I love Sundays - the kids have really learned the importance of keeping it a holy day since we moved into our fun, but nonLDS kid-filled neighborhood. I know it will make then stronger. And hey, I am so LOVING you new hair cut - it's perfect! Hugs to you.

melandkc said...

Kelly your hair is so cute!!! I am glad you like the post I put up about Mykell's birthday. I was totally thinking about you when I was there.......I wanted to REX or SHOOT THE DUCK or LIMBO but if I went down I would not be able to get up:) Anyway we had a great time, still can't believe that place is rockin'....crazy!