Monday, January 25, 2010

Inexpensive Creations...



I am determined to decorate my home on a budget, so I don't go broke and don't cry a river if my kids accidentally wrestle into it - which happens on a consistent basis.

My thoughts come as I sit and stare at empty places and realize I am tired of seeing it so empty. I start my search of the right piece - at my favorite inexpensive places (Ross, Walmart, Michaels, Roberts, Tei Pan, etc...)

This adoreable green vase was at Tei Pan and I fell in love with it. Its a deeper shade than my walls, but in the same color scheme. I had no idea what to put in it but got it anyway. Then I searched high and low for the large Gerber Daisey - which are some of my favorite. Michaels and Roberts are my favorite for these flowers - but you have to be careful cause they only sell these colors in the spring. When I realized what I wanted, it was winter, so I had to wait for them to arrive. But I do love them!


Rounded windows are really tricky. I am still not satisfied with these, but wanted to post how I control the light in here. I purchased from Joanns the light blocker material and a crib sheet (same one that is one the crib) for $10 total. After some ironing and sewing, I matching them up and hooked them to a really simple curtain rod from Ross (favorite place for rods) with the rings that hold them together. Now I have the light blocked when I need it but can open them easy with one arm - and they match as if I ordered them from the same company as the bedding!



The wall above the closet was the hardest for me to figure out. At first I painted 3 canvas pieces for it, but after awhile realized I am no Michaelangelo - bummer. So I came up with this. I covered the canvas (10 for $15 at Michaels) with a coat of paint then cut scrapbook paper to match it. Stamped/chalked the edges of the paper to add some color, then got more of the daiseys (sale at Roberts for $1.50 each) - chopped off the stem - and hot glued away. I was very pleasantly surprised on how they turned out!





This creation was my first one I ever did in our house, finished it before the carpet was in. I used darker shades of the wall paint (Horseradish from Sherman Williams) to paint the grass. I was so nervous cause I never paint walls well. So I ended up using paint tape to create the grass molds, painted them in, then slowly peeled it off when it was alittle wet. This helped the edges leak alittle bit which added to the leaf look. After one coat was dry, I did another layer of grass with an even darker shade. I was going to make my own flowers but found these on www.butterflycraze.com (Heart to Heart) and just love them. I adore this website and am always waiting for their sales. One is going on right now and you can get the flowers for $2 and $4 each - a steal!!!! All their items have the same color scheme so whatever I order matches. Perfect girly website...



Anyway, until next time - happy decorating!!!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Adorable!

I wish I had a reason to paint something pink in my house. (Maybe someday!)

Have good ideas for boys' rooms or the rest of your house?

Buzybugs pixie.blogspot.com said...

Ok, your crafty... That is SO darling! I love it. I love your ideas, keep going I can sit and watch your posts and do nothing about mine. You go girl.

Jeremy Price said...

kelly,
We live about an hour from disneyland. We would love to get together on the 18th. Email me at elijahsteele@yahoo.com with your plans and i am sure we can work it out. We are looking forward to seeing you guys.

TANNAHILLS said...

Kel... look at you go!! I love your creations! You need to post some pics of the abc wall!! So fun!!

Chelle said...

Hey Miss Crafty...I love all the tips. Your creations are unique and absolutely adorable. I love the ABC wall! You're my new "tispster." Always full of good ideas...keep 'em comin'!!! I'm a fan!

Chelle said...

Hey Miss Crafty! You are the queen tipster! I love it! Keep it comin'...I'm a fan! LOVE the ABC wall. Are the letters vinyl or wood or neither?? You rock!