Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ode to mothers...

Isn't this a fun picture? These are just two of the many, many families who bless our lives. Thanks for dinner guys!

Recently I was visiting with a new friend outside my home whom I have admired as very "with it" - if that's even a word. Meaning she is so well put together, poised, head on her shoulders, confident mom, never stresses out and all the good things that you want to be as a mom. Of course in this exact moment one of my cute little kidlets decided to have a temper tantrum and wouldn't listen to me. You know the "please come here" and you get the "NOOOOO!" answer as they run away like they are going to be locked up in a dungeun? Well, as I am trying to handle this little meltdown with ease I am thinking to myself "oh what can she be thinking, this looks like I have no idea what I am doing here!" Now I need to make a note, that I truly wish I never worried about what other ladies think of me, but honestly - I do sometimes. Not because I need the praise and honor, but because I really try hard to teach my children correct principles and when they misbehave, I worry of the judgment that sometimes comes in those moments - usually from well meaning women who just do not fully understand the dynamics of that day. I am sure we have all been recipients of this at times as well as been the givers of the judgment. I know for myself I am not free from either one. So...as I finally finish my little "chat" session and my child leaves his "break" (that is what we call time-outs in our house), I walk over to her and to my surprise she praises me for handling that so well and wonders how I do it?! What!? Are you serious!? This leads into a huge discussion on parenting and we both shared things that we struggle with as we try our best to be great mothers. I was amazed that she had insecurities with motherhood just like I do, I would have never imagined. We closed the afternoon better women as we inspired each other to do better and encouraged each other with praise of the things we were doing well.
This left me in deep thought for the rest of the day, about how often it seems on the outside that so many of us are "perfect", and I know in reality none of us are, but in our own times of struggle with parenthood it seems easy to find those around us who are "with it" and see that we are not. I can not even say how many tears I have shed as a mother feeling I am not "with it." But this afternoon I had a wonderful reminder that all of us worry that we could be better. That we all need each other for support, ideas and encouragement. Some days we feel on top of the mountain and other days we are drowning in the sea. I am realizing more and more as my path crosses mothers every day that regardless of what it looks like on the outside, none of us are free from some sort of worry, stress, insecurity, hardship, shortcoming, or feeling of guilt. I also am learning that all of us as women TRY OUR BEST every day to overcome these obstacles. Some days OUR BEST has more energy than others, but it is still our best.
I am so grateful to know that I am not the only woman who has deep concerns about motherhood and making sure I am doing what the Lord has asked ME to do, in the best way that I can. I am also grateful to know that when my motherhood skills aren't the best on a certain day, that tomorrow is a new day. Wouldn't it be wonderful if each of us as women could release our sense of comparison and judgment, change our negative looks to smiles of encouragement and cheer each other on with our knowledge that we are all in this together? It is so much easier when we realize that truly we all need each other.

12 comments:

Amanda said...

What a great post, Kel! I've been thinking so much about this topic lately. I worry so much about my mothering skills (or lack thereof, in some cases.) Sometimes I compare myself to the lady down the street that seems like she's really got it all together. Come to find out, when I talk to her, she's got insecurities of her own.

I guess it all boils down to, we all have our strengths and our weaknesses, even in the area of motherhood. Where one mom, excells, another may have more to learn. So I agree, we need to be less judgemental, and more patient with each other, and willing to help, teach, and share if we can.

I remember watching you as a mother of 2, when I was just barely becoming and mother, and trying to emulate some of your qualities. You're still a wonderful example to me!

Holy Moley... this is long-winded, but one more thing...

When I feel discouraged in this area, or just need a good reminder, I listen to Elder Ballard's talk from April's conference directed to young mothers. I seriously listen to it on my iPod 1-2x a week. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Another great thought, Kel! It's so true...I think that is one of Satan's ways he tries to separate all of us is for us to compare ourselves to others and judge ourselves unfairly. But so true that we so need each other...that is how we get better, when we have our buddies as our cheerleaders!

Harmony said...

Kelly, love to hear your thoughts. I can't tell you how many times I have thought , man, Kelly is a great mom! And you are and you have taught your children well. Your boys are some of the best cayden has. I have been meaning to e-mail you, thank you so much for the swimsuit for Sophia, it is so dang cute! I wish I would have been home to chat with you. Thanks, again!

Mugs said...

Here, here Kelly! Thanks for taking the time to write this. I can soooo relate. The more moms I talk to and become close friends with (close enough that we can admit our insecurities like you and this friend of yours), the more I realize that we ALL ocassionally soak our pillows with tears at night worrying about how we are doing, and for our kids. And you are absolutely right, we have each other for encouragement and advice. I am so very grateful for dear friends like you!

Brittany said...

As always, you inspired me:) Thank you!

If I could only give you one compliment (because I could go on and on:)), it is that you make everyone around you want to be better people! What a great talent.

Thanks for sharing!

auttelf said...

Hey I am glad you found me. I am so excited to hear from you guys. I think about you all the time. I have always looked up to you as being a great mother. We always compare ourselves to everyone else right. Your awesome, I'm glad we are in touch!

M Occasionally B said...

Kelly! It's Melissa Cain! I found you through Kristen and Nick. Your still as inspiring as ever. I love your families blog and it's great to see how your kids have grown. I hope you nad Mike are well. Brian and I are expecting our first little one the 6th of January. We couldn't be more excited! Keep in touch!

Mugs said...

I tagged you, Kelly! Go to my blog to get the details.

Valasi Satini said...

Kelly! Remember us?? How are you? I love to explore through different blogs and I found yours. I hope you don't mind me coming onto your site! Hope you and your family are well. We miss you guys out here in Lehi! :)

Love Valasi

(The Satini Family)

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I love your blog!!! This is such a great way to keep in touch with friends across the globe:) Now we need to get Melanie to start one:)

Your family is beautiful!!! My email address is attached to my blog in case you decide to go private:)

Chanelle said...

Kelly you are such a good mom! I know so many of us can only see our faults, but we need to remember the good things we do too.

I'm so excited to see you guys started a blog!

Valasi Satini said...

Hey Kelly!
Remember us?! :) How are you? Not sure if you got my other message, but just wanted to say hello! Hope you and your family are well. Your little girl is so much bigger than the last time I saw her! Your kids are adorable. Take care. We miss seeing you guys every Sunday!

love Valasi Satini